Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #952 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
service

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'm seeing Model 3's pretty regularly around here now. The store closure thing has me curious though; where would I go for warranty service and other work? The nearest "service center" to me is a bit over an hour away, and it is listed as a "store and service center". Is it closing?

And there's no way in the world I would ever buy something that costs that much money without laying hands on it first. I get that there's a cult that doesn't care, but I do. I suppose I could waylay a stranger and ask them to let me crawl over their car and take it for a test drive, but that might or might not go well.

I also looked for charging locations while I was checking their maps. Although I live on the periphery of the east coast megalopolis, my area is very ill served by charging stations. I understand Tesla is putting these stations up themselves, trying to solve the chicken/egg dilemma, and I think that's great. But unless I'm using it to commute into the maelstrom, a Tesla is not a practical vehicle for me at this time. In other words it would have to be a commuter vehicle, covering part of my needs. Even at $35K that does not seem economically sensible; my last commuting-centric purchase was a Honda Fit for $15K.

I continue to watch with interest. And the garage we're building will have 100A service.
I may not be current on data,but I don't believe there will be any changes with respect to service availability.
Worse case is,they bring a loner car to you,while they take your car away for service,then reverse the process after completing the job.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to pricing,the Model 3,I think,is targeting the Accord/Camry/Altima/Malibu/etc. market,the largest segment.And at $35,000,consumers are already paying this much with up-market option packages.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cars will be the same,whether from a dealer or not.We save 15% by not having a showroom.It's a cost-saving way to expedite getting commuters into EVs.(when I was in Japan in 1998,you could by a car at a grocery store)
As to Supercharger stations,as of last March,Tesla was installing 13-stations a day,and will end up with a 'fueling' station every 134-miles,nationwide.
Gasoline has already increased 20-cents/gallon in the last 30-days,you'll never see this price volatility with electric power.
And the highest-performance cars on Earth now,run on REGULAR,UNLEADED kWhs.You'll never pay for 'PREMIUM.'