View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 01:35 AM   #5323 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
The only way the nation might use less over all energy at least for a little while is....

....no one single thing. Converting the fleet to electric without nuclear (at 1/10th the cost) might have no more benefit than shutting down professional and college sports spectaculars. And converting the stadiums to hydroponic food factories.

The white cliffs of Dover are marine snow.

Deciphering the ancient mysteries of ‘marine snow’
The planet’s largest carbon sink is deep underwater and little understood. Kaya Wilson reports.
https://cosmosmagazine.com/geoscienc...of-marine-snow

The Climate Change Paper So Depressing It's Sending People to Therapy
On average, three people read an academic paper. At least 100,000 have read this—and a lot of them haven't taken it very well.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...ple-to-therapy

edit: Okay, I read that last article. Take it with a grain of salt
Quote:
Not everyone was so taken with the paper. Bendell submitted it to a well-respected academic journal for publication, with little success. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal (SAMPJ) told me that the paper was in need of "major revisions" before it would be ready for publication. Bendell ended up publishing it through IFLAS and his blog. "The academic process is such that I took that as an effective rejection," he explains, saying that the reviewers wanted him to fundamentally alter his conclusions. "I couldn't completely rewrite the paper to say that I don't think collapse is inevitable. It was asking for a different paper."

"I think the reason why my framing and my paper took off is that it’s maybe the first time a social scientist was saying these things categorically," he says. "We are seemingly in denial. It's time to break that taboo and have serious conversations about what we do now."
The sky is falling, else they are misreading the science.

Last edited by freebeard; 03-07-2019 at 02:12 AM..