View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
You're not the first guy I've heard of, installing an EPS system to free up a few ponies for better performance. Decluttering the engine bay has got to be a plus, too.

What I had been seeing though was that for people looking for an off-the-shelf option, they were splicing in the business end of a Prius column to get the motor and rack. The Prius has some speed-sensitive hardware that it needs for proper function, but in a non-Prius install it defaults to a certain level of assistance so even when lobotomized it still works.

My experience in my HCH was there was a small range of deadness at the center of the steering where it gave no assistance, and beyond that it would suddenly jump in with added torque, causing a jolty ride if you weren't ready for it. I never dug into it much to try to adjust that out, I just got used to it.
Thank you. Just out of curiosity, does the EPS system work without the engine running? I know that it could, but I am not sure if it would since it needs an RPM signal.

I have heard the same thing that there is a little deadness at the center of the steering wheel, and as far as I know there is no way to adjust that. However, I have also heard that Honda updated the control module for the 2004 and 2005 models to help address that issue, although I am not sure if that is true. I do know that the part number for the control module is different though.

That is very interesting what you said about some people using a Prius steering column, that sounds like it could be a good option for someone looking to convert a car to EPS where there is no OEM option available. Another option would be an electric pump that only runs when needed, or installing a clutch on the belt driven pump so it only runs when needed. I thought about trying to find an electric pump, but I decided that it would be easier to install an OEM EPS system than to try to build something custom.