View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Mazda5 experience

Hello 19bonestock88,

We've got a 2007 Mazda5 with a bit over 150k miles on it, auto trans. If you are used to a midsize sedan, they will be a nearly seamless replacement in terms of "where it can go/fit". I can see right over it, it isn't overly long, the sliding doors are *extremely* practical, and you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in them. Regularly averages 22-26mpg with no special care for driving techniques other than "don't speed if possible", including remote starting in winter and super-hot summers.

Things to look out for: the first gen at least is a rust magnet. Rear wheelwells at the pinch seam behind the doors/above the wheels, plus where the rear bumper plastic attaches to the rear of the wheelwell. We've done the entire front suspension within the last ~50k or so, not too bad. Rear strut mounts break at about 75k intervals when in a salted road area, maybe less frequently if you replace the struts before they go bad. They are very picky on tires - get a set that it doesn't like and it'll burn off the inside edge below the wear-bars in 15kmiles, even with the alignment in spec. NOTE: It's the same suspension as a Mazda3 or Ford Focus and any other derivatives, so watch those as well. The rear-most seats are quite cramped, though the fold and tumble middle seat makes access not bad. Front legroom is maybe an inch/inch and a half too short for my 5'11" self - makes long drives a bit uncomfortable. At this mileage the rear suspension needs servicing - all the adjusters are frozen, and half the bushings are torn. Parts aren't bad, but if you aren't a DIY it isn't cheap to have done. The front under-engine plastic tray is crap, gets bashed up and the mounts break and the screws rust and strip out in the clips so they won't come out, etc. The heat-shield for the exhaust softens up over time and falls down - ours is scraping now. Very low ground clearance, so snow is an issue if it gets too deep.

Been a great family car, but don't rely on the back seats for adult passengers unless in a pinch - your customers will complain about being pinched. We love it for our family because our two kids can fit in the way-back when we need to haul more people, but as a taxi it is kind of lacking if you want to claim a full 5 passengers. Technically you can do it. I would not want to ride in the back if I called you, though. 2nd gen may be better - go sit in one before you pull the trigger on it.