View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
The major difference between EX and HX transmissions is in the final drive. Swapping the 5th gear would help but I think you're still going to lose fuel economy on the highway.

*However* pulse and glide can largely eliminate losses from too-short gearing, if you're willing to use it.

I'd personally use an HX transmission if I had your car. If you need more power you always have a lower gear, with the exception of first.
Great point! I know it would be hard to say, but what do you think the difference in mileage would be between an EX and HX trans? The EPA says that there is a 1 MPG loss on the highway with the manual vs the auto with a Civic EX, but that doesn't really mean much to me.

Also, that's a great point that you can always downshift for more power unless you are already in first gear, but when you are in 5th gear you can't upshift. However, I do like having good off the line power. Even though I have substantially improved the mid range and top end power from stock, the low end torque hasn't improved a whole lot. And besides, I would like the clutch to last as long as possible.

As for pulse and glide, sorry, but am not willing to do that. I understand that pulse and glide is efficient because it basically eliminates pumping losses, but it is inconvenient, illegal, causes extra wear, and it is (by my standards) not safe.