View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
vtec-e
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
10/10!! Thats an impressive saving.
I had a similar experience with my boiler last winter. I have an oil fired boiler heating the house and water. I installed a stove in the living room and plumbed it into the heating system to assist the boiler and reduce or eliminate the use of oil. I had it set up so it would heat the return water to the oil boiler and therefore reduce it's oil consumption and still heat the house. It worked well but i found i was losing 7 celsius across the boiler when the stove was doing the heating. The boiler felt warm on the outside so i had to retain this heat. Some leftover attic lagging was duly put to good use and i reduced the loss to 3 celsius. I know i should eliminate the oil boiler when the stove is heating but it just wasnt practical. I wanted one pump doing the circuit as two pumps were opposing each other and radiators were not getting hot due to the system being balanced while on the oil boiler. Anyway, it works well and is heating my house nice and toasty as i type.....with my beer in hand....

ollie