View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
oldtamiyaphile
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
In either case, if you put the transmission in neutral, the input and output shafts will soon be rotating at different speeds. Re-sycing them to get into gear will require the syncros to do work matching the speeds, unless you start the engine first and do rev-matching. If you want to bump start, you either need to leave the transmission in gear or use the sycnros.

So, for EOC, you can choose: syncro wear (trans in neutral, clutch engaged) or leg pain and throwout/pilot bearing wear (trans in gear, clutch dis-engaged). You can do leg pain AND syncro wear if you want (trans in neutral, clutch dis-engaged) but why?
No wear bump starts.

The engine is off so zero rpm. Push the clutch down for ~5seconds and the input shaft will slow to zero rpm too. 0+0= zero wear. That's what I have to do with my non-syncro truck. If you don't wait for the input shaft to stop to it will just crunch.

If you can't wait for 5 seconds before bumping, just barely touching any gear will stop the input shaft immediately. Then select the gear you want, just going into gear immediately causes about twice the wear going by feel.

I usually touch 4th to stop the input shaft, then shift into 5th. If sometimes I need to bump fast I just go straight for 5th. That way I'm spreading any wear over two syncros. While accelerating I often skip 4th so that's my 'sacrificial' syncro.

But where possible, I use the 5 second no wear trick.