View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #317 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix'97 View Post
I do, proudly, change the oil in my car, every 3 months. I do replace filters, even the fuel filter every 2 years. I have been forced to take apart my exhaust system, my coolant system, and my ignition system! It helps me actually develop a bond with my car rather than merely owning it.

The average consumer won't even change their engine oil or add engine oil but never change the oil filter. Hell, some people constantly run their engines and/or fuel tanks, empty, and yet wonder why the engine suffered a mechanical failure!
Modern cars don't need that level of maintenance, and won't destruct when running out of fuel. I change the oil on my gassers once a year, and somewhat frequently run out of fuel with no ill effects. I never replace fuel filters because they never get clogged up to the point of restricting fuel flow.

All this work is something likely more required by a Pontiac than any other modern car. There's a reason they stopped making Pontiacs, and it's not because they were fantastic cars.

The moment I married my wife, I replaced the power steering pump on her Grand Prix and sold the hunk of junk for $900. It got fuel economy like a truck and accelerated like a Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
What do you mean by that? We have frequent outages where I live (at least a couple times a year). A higher demand for power will only increase the frequency.
Too much demand doesn't cause outages; they cause brownouts. EVs stabilize the grid because they charge off-peak. There's no evidence that EVs have caused any grid problems. Since you brought the charge, it's on you to show evidence to support the claim.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!