View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #366 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,823 Times in 7,279 Posts
Quote:
My point is that it's impossible for me or any other group to make better decisions than the invisible hand. If you set the parameters correctly and enforce rule of law, the market will come up with a better solution than the smartest person can dictate.
Adam Smith: "None of us is as smart as all of us"

Quote:
I don't know what Tulsi is about. Don't follow news or politics, but in all my free time I might look her up. Still won't change the fact that I don't vote (I've got an economist mindset).
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tulsi+dore

She has a calm, serene air that no-one else can match (among declared 2020 candidates). Potentially our first Hindu war veteran President. Donating to a campaign is more economic than voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil
In my eyes the only real and direct approach can be to tax fuel in such a way that it reflects the CO2 and eventually other pollutants it causes by getting burned....
Only then will the interests of economy and ecology align, and will your invisible hand really pull in the right direction.
Electricity is the interesting case, because the source might be (at any moment) carbon-free or grossly polluting.