View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
My black Civic started overheating two summers ago, when I was driving all over the Phoenix area. I figured out that the radiator fan was dead, but as far as I could tell, the radiator itself held pressure.

Then I got a full-time job in a cooler part of the state, realized that my radiator was cracked, but did not worry about it, because I never drove that car further than 1.4 miles.

I did not realize that a car could overheat within a few miles, even if it is cool out. I moved in with Mom and my brother with autism, got a new job, and blew the head gasket driving seven miles to training in 70° weather.

Life is harder if you are stupid.

Can you imagine how much trouble I would have saved had I replaced the radiator and fan two years ago?

I could only put my straightedge straight across the block, right in the middle, but I could not fit my .0015-inch shim anywhere underneath.
If this car has been overheating regularly for 2+ years, I absolutely do not believe that head is still flat.

If you even need to ask these questions you clearly should trust it to a pro: heads are finicky, and you won't want to tear down again.