View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
spazatac
EcoModding Lurker

Single axle or tandem trailer?

I found a trailer builder that will build me whatever I want and Ive been tossing around the idea of having him install a single axle on a 7x16 mini toyhauler. Not mainly because its less rolling resistance, but because the trailer is designed for forest service roads or the yukon highway and if I encounter a big rock or washed out gully, I don't want to bend a axle if I unload one axle, and place the entire load on the other.

But like I mentioned, I'm undecided if I want two 5K axles or one 9K. But with either, the leaf springs will have to be cut down or de-leafed because total weight will be less than 75% of the rating. I'm also considering airbags and maybe a panhard bar with trailing arms.

But I am also wondering how much less rolling resistance does a single axle trailer have over a tandem with the same weight and size. Is it more significant than I imagine? And would I regret losing more stable tandem handling characteristics on the highway compared to a single axle?

I think aerodynamics would have more impact on mpg, but I don't want a gooseneck because of the risk of contact with the truck bed when on uneven terrain.

Thanks!