View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Since when has mpg been a big selling point? June, maybe? On experience to date, it takes a LOT longer than 3 months for auto executives to pull their heads out of their butts. Then consider how many years they've spent going in front of Congressional committees and saying that they couldn't POSSIBLY meet those CAFE standards. So now they're supposed to turn around and say "Gee, it looks like we could have done it all along"?

When I think about the actions of the auto manufacturers since the '70s oil embargo, and even before, I can only conclude that they simply don't WANT to make cars that get good mpg.
They want to make cars and trucks that will SELL. They give the public what they want. How can you sell somebody an item they don't care about? You can't. In a free market economy you can't change the buying habits of millions, unless you are the federal government and want to tax that behavior. The problem you have to watch out for is who really takes the hit for higher consumption taxes? The poor and middle class, who can least afford it.

Until the day comes when automakers can design and produce cars in a very short cycle we will have this; chasing the likes and dislikes of buyers based on what they told us YESTERDAY(i.e. 2 or more years ago). In the early '80s we got downsized cars with decent MPG because of the fuel shortages of the '70s. Then, for the next 20 years with low gas prices and no shortages, the race for more HP and bigger vehicles was on. Now the pendulum swings back, but who knows for how long? For the next few years we'll see a continuous increase in fuel efficient models. Enjoy it while it lasts