View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=freebeard;593412)

COANDA

Pix or, you know....[/QUOTE]

SMART TRUCK AERO DOT COM

See: Topkit

We are using with skirts.

I like to think fully boxed tail is best, but even with our experienced men, they run into maintenance issues (an owner-operator could stay ahead of that). I also like it as I think it keeps tailgaters farther back (and I like the look when paint scheme is excellent: a clipper with all sails out).

So far as I can tell the crosswind problems are low (given fresh fifth wheel grease and balancing load by sliding tandems). I’m under a 44k load in the box (gross 78k) from Amarillo to near Clemson, SC and have had crosswinds though not fierce, are noticeable.

A load that with a non-aero trailer I’d be in the low sevens at my usual 66-67 mph. Instead, I’m at 7.8-8.3. This series of trailers are new to us. All disc brake and our norm of auto tire inflation. Conventional tires (wide base singles not really working out for fleets).

Top edge Nose splitter. Turning vanes at trailer sides rear top. Full width turn vane on roof. Full skirts. (Which I much prefer to undertray type).

I Expect tails to disappear. They’ve had their day

2019 Peterbilt 579 EPIQ package. 12-Auto. Full FLOW BELOW” package on Drive Axles. I’m at a little more than 30” gap truck to trailer keeping kingpin centered between axles. Might try it forward more, but ride quality is something I can’t screw around.

At 64-mph with barest tailwind I can travel in this 21,500-lb tractor bobtail at near 14-mpg. 11-12 otherwise. 10, almost always. That’s as good as some of these diesel pickups solo and towing. 6k lighter and one-half the engine-size, ha!

I first came across Coanda in a series of articles in ANALOG in the early 1980s

NUSSBAUM fleet has been a model for our owner (but thank god, we’re not in Freightliners. I’m in a Cadillac, not a Cornbinder quality ride).

Last edited by slowmover; 04-08-2019 at 07:39 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-08-2019)