View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #5563 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The concept of zero marginal cost from limitless free energy supplying an endless supply of robots building robots without regard to dwindling nonrenewable resources is absurd to me.
We are right now already living very close to the peak of the Star Trek future where we will be very fortunate to salvage a focused and more efficient world internet and electronic industry to at least hang on to that as we take pragmatic aim at a plan to drop back to where we can once again learn to share and most people will grow most of their own food, fuel wood, and fiber.
You're not speaking to my comments as I never said we would have zero marginal cost, I said things would generally trend towards zero marginal cost, which is just to say that things will tend to get cheaper.

I brought up resource depletion, which is exactly the problem with automation. We're on the same page there.

As far as I can tell, our only real disagreement is that I'm more optimistic about quality of life as we move away from fossil fuels. I don't expect we'll need to go back to producing our own food, as I expect some form of mass food production to still be viable.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!