View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Well a 4 speed with a second transmission that is a in/out overdrive.

So it is a 5 speed or even a 8 speed as the over drive could work as a gear splitter, giving a First and first OD, or second then 2nd. w/OD and so on.

I used to play 6 speed in the 60s with my 56 Studebaker with a 3 Speed w/OD, I would drop OD in each gear, 3 + OD = 6 gears.

Rich
Oh that sounds like fun to have more gears and something else to play with LOL. But as someone else said, that makes me wonder if having a second transmission would actually be of any benefit. That would depend on the engine's efficiency at different RPMs and how much frictional loss the overdrive unit adds. It is quite possible that such a setup would be of no benefit to MPG.

But like I said, cruising RPM isn't all about gas mileage. Some people (like myself) don't like the noise of cruising at a high RPM, especially since I made this car so loud as it is. Also, even though I know that it's illogical, I don't like the feeling of cruising at a high RPM for extended periods of time because I feel like the engine is working harder than it has to. To me, driving down the highway is more relaxing at a lower RPM