View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Partial chop top/teardrop on a metro

Yesterday I bought a 92 metro 4-dr hatchback. Neither back door currently opens from the outside, and the driver's side doesn't open from the inside (broken door handles). This car is going to pretty much be used exclusively for me to commute alone as my family of 6 won't fit in it. So here's the idea: I was thinking I could chop this thing behind the front seat area and taper it back to fit the ideal teardrop shape. I'm thinking I would build the rear end to fit the long low rear window of a comparable coupe, something like the last gen Mercury Cougar, or maybe a Chevy Cavalier, depending on the price of glass, dimensions, etc.

Posts before have expressed concern about the safety of chopping a unibody car, which I fully understand, but in this case I would be essentially converting this car into a 2 (or 1) seater, and would be leaving the front seat area intact, as well as possibly adding some tube steel to beef the structure up a little. The fabrication shouldn't be an issue for me as I have done a lot of work with both steel and aluminum fab, and have access to both in a large variety of gauges, and can even have them laser cut for me for a pretty good price.

Thoughts, comments, concerns? I haven't done any rough figuring on the cost of this project yet, just a rough idea that popped in my head when I look at the very boxy nature of this car.