View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #46 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
I'm not trying to argue so please don't take offense....
Argument is merely contradiction (Monty Python). Then you have debate and dialectic. This is one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
*The half-tonneau is a peculiar animal.It allows a locked-vortex to be captured behind the rearward facing step of the cab.
*The inviscid (streamline flow) follows over the vortex as if it were more a solid body,strikes the tail end's upper surface,really killing lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
Do you know those cylindrical hay bales? Imagine one the width of the bed and 80% the height of the cab, ahead of the half tonneau, and spinning. I think the half tonneau creates a vortex that acts like a solid object in that space.
I tried.

Insofar as the sail panels, they will likely promote inward rolling vortexes over the tonneau, which would reattach. Against the main vortex, who knows. Build and tuft test it. The shape of the top rear edge of the cab may be more significant.

And I wonder about the front face of the tailgate. If the half-tonneau is a box with a front wall, won't the low pressure tramsit through the rigid structure of the bed? And how does the low pressure at the center get through the spinning mass of air?