View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
And I wonder about the front face of the tailgate. If the half-tonneau is a box with a front wall, won't the low pressure tramsit through the rigid structure of the bed? And how does the low pressure at the center get through the spinning mass of air?
That's a question that I can't answer. I was only going by what Aerohead had said and I hoped I had interpreted correctly.

This air flow picture may have answered my question about the flow spilling outwards after the cab, but I can't confirm it. I'm not quite that smart.

The other picture is the one we have seen many times. I currently have the full bed cover and get about 32 mpg in my logs. I am aiming for the cab wing and half cover (towards the bottom of the picture) someday. The half cover is an easy project and I thought it might be interesting to see how it performs without the wing. I'm more than willing to build it and find out. If it's an improvement over the 32mpg, then I'll keep it. If it's not then I'll try and figure out the cab wing and record how that does combined with the half cover. I'm sure it will be an improvement if the picture is correct (and I'm sure it is). Hucho doesn't show a wing and full cover combination (harder for me to fabricate the wing) or the half cover and no wing (much easier for me to fabricate). The way I want to design the half cover, will allow me to someday test the wing and full cover theory also. That is if I can figure out the wing assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aero 2.gif
Views:	30
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	25757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aero 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	25758