View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #71 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Seems like every manual trans car I have ever owned could have had a significantly higher top gear.
I test drove an MT 6 speed(Honda)......I can run around all day at 35 mph in 6th.
they cater to people..... unaware of.....downshifting....Also..... writers obsess over close ratio trannies and staying in the "power band"......It's a freaking road car, dummy. It is not a track car. My '09 Sonata is....the worst example.....It can be lugged around at 30 mph in 5th on level ground just fine. It really needs a 6th gear.
TOTALLY agree with you..... We have 3 Hyundai cars, one 2008 low geared 5 sp. manual Accent(3000rpms at 60MPH), one 2013 six sp. auto Elantra (~ 2100 at 60MPG) & one 2016 six sp. manual Elantra (~ 2250 rpms at 60MPG). Hyundai advertised that their automatic Elantra got the same MPG as the manual Elantra, but that was because the manual was geared 6% to 7% lower than the auto.
Slowly accelerating, the auto Elantra will shift into 5th gear at 30MPH, AND will hold 5th gear, down to 26MPH. The auto Elantra will shift into 6th gear at 43MPG. However, slowing down carefully (with cruise control), 6th gear will hold, all the way down to 36MPH! The manual Elantra will drive in 6th, with a gentle foot, under 34MPH!
In an effort to lower rpms at higher speeds, I use larger tires on the Accent & auto Elantra. Even tho they are larger tires, they do produce higher MPG. I hope to do the same with the manual Elantra.
Yes, all these gears, but companies still aren't getting the best efficiency from their manual transmissions.