View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
The truck my friend purchased looked to be in good overall condition. The original plan was to bring the whole thing back home. That didn't work out. (Trucking issues, sizes, weights, etc.)
We did bring back the batteries and are deciding what exactly to do with the rest of the truck. (Pay somebody to ship it, return with a different trailer, etc.)
Did you get a look at the BMS? Brand or model?

Some of the BMS are nice and simple .. perhaps a 2010 model has a better chance of doing a simple go/no go than more recent models.

*EVERY* electric vehicle I have dealt with - golf cart, UTV, lawm mower, heck even a cordless drill! .. that had a BMS, had a problem with the BMS.

No one calls me to 'take a look' unless it's already broken. So given that it is broken, there is a high percentage of BMS issues. Damaged connectors, missing or damaged temperature sensors, corrosion on contacts, or general communication faults ... if I can get past those (or somehow get power to the contactor in the battery pack) the rest of the systems have some minor issues, warnings, alarms ...

Except for the battery packs that were completely drained or reverse polarity because (IMHO) the BMS did not disconnect when it should have

I guess that's not fair. I've seen 4 AC controller failures as well. But those vehicles were *VERY* abused. No motor failures so far. No encoder problems, besides a connector. One throttle had a failed channel. etc etc. Stuff that you can deal with. The BMS stuff is more black art!