View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
So this is waste of time? Here is a photo of the wheel spats. I was thinking of blocking the open spot above them, as well as the open spots on the front as shown in photo #2.
I have no way of knowing.
The original 1975 Golf underwent around 8-different airdam configurations during R&D and what worked best ended up as the OEM device.
Your car might have underwent the same care,before the final design was locked in for production.It's quite possible that what you see has already been painstakingly developed and already optimized.
I can tell you that,back in the day,a few millimeters or degrees,one way or another,could make for remarkable differences in performance,and required a full-size model and wind tunnel to dial in.
The taco fairing in front of each wheel-flop area looks very intentional.If the opening above them is sealed,adding a panel may make no difference,just as with a birdbath spoiler.
Adding to the center,even if it doesn't add frontal area,could inadvertently increase drag.It will cost you a trip to North Carolina and $460 and hour to find out.$500 and hour after the first 2-hours.
Perhaps some cardboard and duct tape could 'prove' the devices.You just need some facility for high-resolution measurement,like a ScanGauge.