View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
2016 Versa
EcoModding Apprentice

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
So, I'm reading some things that are contradictory to stuff I've read elsewhere. One example:

As I recall, Honda states directly to never use anti-seize in their aluminum cylinder heads because it lubricates the threads and may allow over-torquing of spark plugs, which could result in stripped or deformed threads.

Going to poke through the rest of it though, as I'm always interested in new information, especially if it pertains to fuel economy.
I always use anti seize when replacing spark plugs and have ever since I had a plug seize while trying to remove it. Even though the threads were full of aluminum from the head and I had to use all my strength to remove the plug I was able to take the old plugs and re-tap threads into the head and continue using the car without having to replace the head. My fix lasted until I quit using the car probably about 10-15 years later. Once I feel the plug seat I give it just enough to snug it down. I've never used a torque wrench when changing plugs although maybe I should.