View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
BongoBennie
lead foot

***Back from the dead***

So I had a good chat with one of my smartest car buds since this Turbo truck K series Insight thing is starting to collect parts. I just acquired an Element AWD 5 speed, will be running 28" Yokohama 003 mud terrain tires and towing a teardrop trailer.

We talked about the motor and fuel .... 2 10 gal tanks so I can blend E85 and if I can hit 40 MPG that's an 800 mile range on one fillup.... perfect.

All that being said He thinks the only reason the Accord ever got better mileage than the Civic Si or RSX base was due to gearing. A3 head is basically the same port design as all the other K series heads but with smaller more restrictive ports, A3, A4, A8 etc also flow less due to the valvetrain design. A2 Heads have big ports AND big cams since the have the 3 lobe "true VTEC" design" A2 and a3 blocks also allow for the 50° VTC vs the 25° in the K24s. (You can go 45° safely in a K24 before piston contact is possible)

Another thing he said is the oil squirter do in fact squirt at about 20psi which isnt much past idle and would be very good to have. A3 head is also good to 7800rpm valvetrain wise. My goal ultimately will be a car that gets 40 mpg, makes 400HP on straight e85 and will run OK on straight pump gas when necessary, possibly staging injectors for bi fuel use. Engine would be Stock TypeS K20a2 bottom w/K20a3 head 11.7:1 CR , Borg Warner Turbo.......... I've put a few hours back into this subject and it keeps bringing me back to this thread so I figured Id wake it up.