View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Aero Mod Details:

The tire swap and accessory removal is straightforward. 245/75R16 tires are more aero in addition to better rolling resistance. Wheels will be Factory 05+ TRD Off-road 16” Alloys that I have already. I will “baseline” the vehicle once this is completed.

From a rear body aero standpoint, having the rear hatch is a great blank canvas to build from, since I don’t need to hinge an add on device separately. I checked and the top isn’t going to bind. Built an upper kamm back from tail lights up. Taper at AST-II from top and 4:1 AST from sides, use existing deflector bolt holes and double sided tape for attachment. Using the bumper as the stopping point I can get about 17” on top tapering down to 8” at the sides above the tail lights. There is some existing taper to the vehicle, once I do the tire swap I will get accurate measurements to start my taper where the factory left off. I will rough it out of XPS foam, carve it to the proper shape, and fiberglass over it, same way I built the aeroshell on my 05 Tacoma.

The belly pan will be bent aluminum using ¼” aluminum material I already have. Slope down in front from bumper to crossmember, flat belly, slope back up to hitch after rear axle. Slope from frame up to body on sides. No pan under exhaust, may try to also insulate some exhaust pipes to keep down the oven effect.

Planning fore and aft tire spats to direct the airflow around the tires. Probably U shaped metal frames on bodywork with conveyor belt attached hanging down.

Grill duct is probably coroplast, ducting upper grill to radiator. Lower grill probably blocked.
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-06-2019)