View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #52 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
My original thought on this whole thing is that I could buy an ELECTRIC box truck for LESS than a USED NISSAN LEAF.

I built a teardrop trailer about ten years ago for less than $2,000.

I also now have friends who work as full-time RV mechanics, and can get me parts at cost (or better yet, I'd just use the things they remove and throw in the dumpster.)

I could probably build a full-time-living FULLY ELECTRIC RV/TinyHouse for about $7,000-$8,000!

I'd hate to be negative, but some of the folks on the forum right now seem to be giving off the same vibe as the naysayers of the Electro-Metro, saying what can't be done, or isn't worth it, dragging down the people who actually ARE DOING SOME OF THESE THINGS!

How about some positive vibes here?
I'm sure you could build a fully electric RV / Tiny House for less than $8,000 especially if you can source free stuff from an RV dealer and these used box trucks have good batteries. (My brother-in-law works as a mechanic and an RV dealer and they throw out all kinds of almost new stuff)

Then what? What are you going to do with the RV? That is the key question.
  • Are you going to live in it full time? If so I would look for a place to park it because RV lots average about $45 a night. I don't know about WI but here on the West coast cities are becoming very hostile to RVs camping on the street.
  • Are you going vacation and travel in it? If so then range is a real issue because you are unlikely to get more than 50-75 miles on a charge
  • Are you going to do what most of my neighbors do and park it behind your house? No problems then

BTW, I like your electric KZ. I followed that project on 300mpg.org
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (05-15-2019)