View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #418 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I'm just upfront with my dad. I let him know I don't want to be dealing with junk when he's no longer able to, and I would resent it a little.

Things in life happen that are out of our control, such as the inevitable decline of our physical and mental health. I hold no resentment by being burdened with helping people, and especially my parents when things outside their control afflict them. Hoarding is something that is within the realm of control though. There's a balance to maintain between keeping something of potential value, and not being able to find stuff due to clutter and running out of space.

I'd say perpetually renting a storage space is a sign that downsizing possessions is needed.

I say all this as someone very imperfect at maintaining proper levels of shtuff. I've got shirts I haven't worn in years. I'm getting better at paring down, but it's a continual process. As a quick tip, one way to tell if you've worn something or not is to hang all clothes with the hanger facing backwards. As you wear things, you'll place them back with the hanger facing the normal direction. After some period of time, the clothes not worn will still be facing backwards.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!