View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
spazatac
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I came here to say what slowmover would say but he already did.

As for the question, I'd assume that rolling resistance is related to weight over contact area. [?] Four tall, narrow tires would have less frontal area for drag.
Thanks.

Since I started this thread I was told first hand about how offset truck rims did actually ruin the bearings on a trailer, so Ive decided (subject to change lol) to run 16" centered trailer rims on the trailer, but be able to use the trailer spare for the truck if needed by using a tire that's within a tenth of a inch outside diameter of my 17" truck tires. The other choice would be to buy new 16" rims for the truck so I could run the exact same eight tires all around.

And two axles are definitely needed just for safety mainly. And I have to have 100 gallons of water for my long haired GF to join me. Actually two 50 gallon tanks, which don't need to be completely filled, but available if needed.

If torsion axles are so great, why do the serious off roader's pulling trailers choose leaf springs? My take is repairs are possible unlike torsions, which would need complete replacement. Limping back for repairs is possible by cramming a log between the axle and frame for example.
Also, one off road trailer company tried torsion axles for a while and found the rubber wears out prematurely because of dirt getting in there. Torsion's don't last as long. Estimates range from 10-15 years highway use. I'm guessing allot less offroad. I'm on the fence but leaning towards the leaf springs.