View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
I don't believe the EPA can get catalytic converters on lawn equipment.
No one is going to pay $500 USD for a No-Name WallyWorld lawn-mower that you can get today for the rollback price of just $98.77 USD.
Ain't Happenin
Besides, cats are heavy, where would you mount it? How would you secure it from those night time cat thieves?
Just my $.02
S.
edit;
I already use an electric mower.
Perhaps this will spur the sale of more electrics so they (the gassers) don't have to be strangled with a catalytic concerter.
Hmm
I guess cat technology has been brought forward quite a bit lately, many homeowner level chainsaws have had cats on them for a couple years. I have one and the little epa sticker rates it 2 out of 10 (1 is best) on their pollution scale. The muffler/cat is slightly bigger than a regular muffler and gets a bit hotter. It did clean up the exhaust noticably compared to my pro saw. The emmissions system also had a time rating of 50 hours and I'm probably at 60 and it is failing rapidly. The saw seems to be losing power so I thinking of just drilling a couple of 3/8 holes through the whole thing to open it up and see if the lost horsepower is from the cat being clogged.

I've been told there are a few nasty metals/chemicals in the cat itself so I should be careful about the dust from drilling.

I'd like to see an analysis of which is worse, releasing a few litres of unburnt fuel with out a cat, or dealing with nasty compounds in a throw away item?
I guess I could price out a new cat/muffler, I imagine they make it just enough to justify buying a new saw...
Ian