View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
AntiGroundhogDay
EcoModding Lurker

Gotcha on blocking the grille to help with aero as well. I'll try it in the Fall perhaps when things are a little cooler.

As for not using the battery to accelerate, I'll defer to the collective, but that doesn't make sense in my head... the traction battery provides "instant torque", starting from a stop is something it does WAY better than an engine that needs to rev to get power. And in my head I'm always thinking "you use that darn battery whenever you can, don't be saving it up because who knows if you'll get an opportunity on this run. If you deplete it to the extent that the engine needs to kick on, well so be it. You got your $'s worth." I understand using the engine.... to recharge the battery.... to drive the wheels may be less efficient that going directly from the engine to the wheels, but there are so man other opportunities to recharge the battery other than the engine alone with things like coasting downhills and very early, very light braking when coming to a stop to pump juice into that battery. So overall is it really that inefficient to "use that darn battery as much as I can"?

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, and I have no idea what others RAV4 Hybrid drivers are getting on the forum, nor their driving environment, but so far I'm happy, but can always do better! Thank you again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BXRdNndnvviZpGhH9