View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr_C
EcoModding Lurker

Contour - '98 Ford Contour SE
90 day: 33.79 mpg (US)

Ninja - '99 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
90 day: 63.1 mpg (US)
aerohead:
I agree, I will never be able to get summertime mileage in the winter, but I want to do anything I can to try to minimize damage. I won't be doing much modding this winter because it is too darn cold to want to be out there anyway. My big problem (and the large majority of my miles) is my 35 mile daily commute. In the summer it is a gallon in my car, or a half gallon on my bike, it is a lot more than a gallon in the winter.

modmonster:
Thats a good point. I didn't add that at all. I have a significant grill block already (I tried a full grill block in the summer, bad idea). I should block it all the way once it gets a little cooler. I put a grill block on my truck too with a "cold front" that I think makes a difference.

Tango Charlie:
I have been lurking for about a month or so.. just trying to get as much info as I can. I have learned a LOT from reading all the aerodynamics stuff... and while the pulse & glide stuff seems counter intuative to me, I have found it works pretty well in town. When it gets COLD (-20 F) my mileage drops 20% or more. But even now when the morning temps are in the 40s (recent cold snap) I am noticing that I am not getting the same instant mileage at 55 that I was before. Argh...

-Mr_C