View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
What is a fluid?

Breaking this off so as not to muck up another person's thread. In that thread, I wrote:

Quote:
I'm working through White's Fluid Mechanics this summer, and the first chapter starts with a discussion of one deceptively simple question: What is the difference between a solid and a fluid? The author points out that most laypeople, even though they "know" what makes the two states different, can't actually define it.
And another poster responded:

Quote:
Fluids flow and conform to a container, solids (mostly) maintain their shape, barring sufficient outside forces. Why is that difficult?
But...

"Some apparently 'solid' substances such as asphalt and lead...actually deform slowly and exhibit definite fluid behavior over long periods." (White, Frank M. Fluid Mechanics, 8th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2017. 4)

(Ellipses where I removed the actual answer).

Solids (mostly) maintaining their shapes. Glass, over extremely long time periods, flows. But glass is a solid. Thus, the ability to flow and conform to the shape of a container is not the distinction. So, what makes lead, asphalt, or glass solids vs. fluids...?

I'll post the answer in this thread tonight if no one guesses it before then.