View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #99 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
VOLT range extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's a 3.3 kW charger.

It looks like it won't be hard for me to beat the official EV range (40 km = 25 miles).

• 40 km = "EV distance to empty" displayed after top-up charge, as of first thing this AM
  • 23 km = distance I've driven so far today
  • 25 km = "EV distance to empty" currently shown
Hmm... 23 + 25 > 40!

That's all sub/urban driving in my sleepy little city. Eco-driving, not hardcore hypermiling. Main eco techniques: gentle acceleration (when no cars behind); looking well ahead and coasting to as many stops/turns as possible (when not holding up following traffic). Conditions: warm weather (24C / 75F); windows open (no AC); "ECO" drive mode selected.

So it looks like 50-60 km = 30-37 miles of EV range is within reach in this driving environment.

Confused me there. I have read the Volt's engine sometimes drives the wheels at certain (higher) speeds, but only when the battery has already been drained and the ICE/generator is running. In EV mode (unlike the Prius), it's 100% electric, all the time. Am I wrong there?
I'll apologize if this is redundant info,but I think the VOLT is a parallel hybrid,with no mechanical connection between the engine and drive wheels.It can only provide electrical power to the electric motor,when the pack goes below its design threshold.