View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Enviro
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Sounds like the engine is already pretty efficient in four cylinder mode, and that it's the acceleration (v8 mode, or is it s v6?) that knocks down your fuel economy. It was similar in the Sienna minivan my family had - could easily get 30+ on the highway, but around town it was easy to get low 20s unless you were careful.
Also, yes haha.

It is night and day. When in v4 mode it gets amazing gas mileage, for such a large vehicle, and has plenty of power to get around but when it drops into v8 mode, I can barely get over 20 mpg on the hwy going 55 mph.

I wish I could have a push button to turn it from v8 to v4 mode instead of it being an automatic thing. I would basically already be at my goal with no mods if I could have a push button v4 mode.

It is the 5.3L small block V8 matched to a 4 speed with a 5th gear OD that drops the RPM to about 1,300 rpm at 55 mph which I feel helps improve mpg a ton.

My Corvette was the same way with the 6 sp manual. in 6th and 55 mph it would be about 1,000 rpm and getting in the 30's with the 5.7L v8 and no v4 mode.

Thanks again!