View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #86 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
How quaint. [cough]FISA[cough]

The warrant just gives permission for the government to delve into the information/metadata residing in the World Brain. Internet never forgets, it just gets rebranded as IOT or 'the cloud'. The record continues with it's exponential growth, even if nobody looks.
I'm not saying the system is perfect, only saying that it's up to us to police it via elected officials.

That said, I don't believe there is a widespread problem of innocent people being spied on and convicted, and am therefore not (much) concerned of the government using the data I share online against me.

I'm more likely to meet my demise from my own doing rather than an evil outside force, and statistically most likely from heart disease and cancer.

If someone evil wanted to "get me" via "cyber methods", they could just as easily (or more easily) fabricate the whole thing. Since the internet is forever, it at least provides a means for me to document fairly consistent behavior, or at least snapshots in time into my position on things.

Quote:
Each application for one of these surveillance warrants (called a FISA warrant) is made before an individual judge of the court. The court may allow third parties to submit briefs as amici curiae. When the U.S. Attorney General determines that an emergency exists, the Attorney General may authorize the emergency employment of electronic surveillance before obtaining the necessary authorization from the FISC, if the Attorney General or their designee notifies a judge of the court at the time of authorization and applies for a warrant as soon as practicable but not more than seven days after authorization of such surveillance, as required by 50 U.S.C. § 1805.
If an application is denied by one judge of the court, the federal government is not allowed to make the same application to a different judge of the court, but may appeal to the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review. Such appeals are rare: the first appeal from the FISC to the Court of Review was made in 2002 (In re Sealed Case No. 02-001), 24 years after the founding of the court.
Also rare is for FISA warrant requests to be turned down. During the 25 years from 1979 to 2004, 18,742 warrants were granted, while only four were rejected. Fewer than 200 requests had to be modified before being accepted, almost all of them in 2003 and 2004. The four rejected requests were all from 2003, and all four were partially granted after being submitted for reconsideration by the government. Of the requests that had to be modified, few were before the year 2000. During the next eight years, from 2004 to 2012, there were over 15,100 additional warrants granted, and another seven being rejected. Over the entire 33-year period, the FISA court granted 33,942 warrants, with only 12 denials – a rejection rate of 0.03 percent of the total requests.[4] This does not include the number of warrants that were modified by the FISA court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Try traveling anywhere with $11,000 cash in your pockets and see what happens, especially if you are a minority.
I'm an extreme minority. In fact, I'm one of a kind. I've travelled in excess of $11k several times.

I don't know what $11k has to do with anything.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-25-2019 at 01:01 PM..