View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
I admit I didn't do a "thoroughly exhaustive" search for a transmission, but I checked a couple sites that are supposed to be linked to a network of salvage yards as well as my local Pick N Pull, who claimed to also search their other locations and couldn't find any in their system, either.

Then I went to the local Aamco transmission joint (who has an ok reputation around here) to see about having it fixed, and that's when the guy told me the problem with them. ...Since Suzuki has stopped selling cars in the US, there isn't the option of a local parts support, either. Then he went on to tell me that those 5 speed transmissions are the "weak link" in them, and they aren't in junk yards because that's either what's wrong with them in the first place, or someone has beat me to them. He did a search of his sources anyway, and said the only thing he found were "cores".

Then he said he knew a guy in - I wanna say Beverly Hills - who used to rebuild them and that he could check with him. That's where I got the $2700 quote - the local Aamco would take it out, ship it down there, then get it shipped back and installed. So...

I don't know - maybe it's a bunch of bull****, but when I couldn't find any either, I thought maybe he was telling me the truth... ?