View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
Hitting 40MPG in the city with my Tahoe RWD with the 6.0L engine
Running aggressive tires...

Hybrid of course as I have figured out how to game the system (ECU) to MAXIMIZE city MPG....
40 city US-MPG /27 US-MPG Highway

on the Sub vs Tahoe cost

it's down to the size and the ease of parking it that is why it's more popular (and why i bought one)

He is chasing a pipe dream... esp since 4x4 is an automatically a penalty MPG wise
CITY is the key, add a plug in charger and you could do unlimited MPG as they can go pure electric up to 30 mph for a limited time. The Hybrid Pacifica is a better choice as it can go up to 80 mph pure electric with a range over 30 miles and has the built in plug in charger that recharges in 2 hours on 240 volts. You could own a Pacifica and never put gas in it. They used the 6.0 in the hybrid GM because it runs on the Atkinson cycle so without the motor assist it makes less power and torque than the 5.3. The differences between a 5.3 and 6.0 (or a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, and 7.0 for that matter) are all internal. They are all LS small block Chevys. The Cd is the same a a 30 year old Geo metro, but it's not like a 30 year old Geo was the pinnacle of aerodynamics. That said Cd is one thing, but CdA is where you combine the Cd with the frontal aera to get actual drag, and the Metro probably beats the tahoe by 1/2. Here is where a Suburban does just as well if not better (compared to Tahoe) as the frontal aera is the same but the added length usually helps settle the air better. I almost bought a used Aspen hybrid which shared the same electric motors, battery, and CVT with the Tahoe hybrid but they sold it just before I got there. No huge deal, we found a normal one for $10,000 less which probably saved more in the long run as we only kept it 3 years. We also needed the 9500 pound tow rating the standard one had.