View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
--------------Project Reset, ignore the above ----------------------
I am resetting this project, and now would like to get some fresh perspective on my revised plans. (Thanks to all who previously provided me advice.)

I have another vehicle to drive now, so I want to take the time to do this project justice. For those not following my other thread I have completely rebuilt this vehicle basically from scratch. 1994 GMC Suburban K2500, 25MPG highway at an assumed CD 0.45. The project runs and functions fine, but I still need to redo the interior and complete any aero mods I want to do to it.

I want to cut the vehicle in half.

This is not a joke or a pipe dream. In terms of time investment I already have an inordinate of hours in this build so this is large undertaking is not unheard of. It is the only way this project will be anywhere near what I envisioned when I started. I have been slowly collecting metalworking tools and doing some metalwork to build my skills. My current plans (up for your comments) would have me cutting out the bodywork surrounding the cargo area (roof and sides) and grafting in new pieces along with repositioning existing pieces to hit the templates. Front and mid doors remain untouched. Frame and floors remain untouched (except narrowing the rear cargo floor if needed).

This will be a great learning project for me (trial by fire). There is no residual intrinsic value in this vehicle’s body/frame at this point (worth far more in powertrain parts) so I am not destroying any sort of value. I come to the people of this forum for advice to help guide this project to success.

Edit: Timeframe wise I will be starting in the fall/winter if all goes well so I have a few months to plan and purchase parts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban Overlay.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	26092   Click image for larger version

Name:	AST Full Taper.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	26093