View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #34 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Kach22i,

The plan is to keep it a four door, I need the middle doors. I can cheat forward a bit on the roof but don't want to mess with tapering the sides near the middle row doors. I have looked at many SUV to Pickup conversions, this is definitely similar. I want the vehicle to look like an Avalanche that someone put a sloped topper on. (There are no GMT-400 factory Avalanches.) Hence the stepside bed. Maybe even a few Avalanche badges...

The big difference would be I am not planning on adding a rear bulkhead at the end of the "passenger" compartment, which are typically added on the SUV to pickup conversions. I would be maintaining the open cargo area, which adds the complication that the "aeroshell" needs to be 100% water and air tight. The reason I suggested a hatchback graft was to try to maintain this usability you referenced but rely on a factory setup for the difficult to manufacture hatch hinge/seals. I would love to custom fab a 100% hinged cover, but am afraid it may not turn out as needed. But when has that stopped me...