View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #5899 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You stating these things as fact does not make it so. Please quantify what you mean by "nuclear power is far from predictable". For instance, power output varies by 10% unpredictably, or some other objective statement of predictability that is grounded in fact.

Similarly, I would like to see an objective account of how wind is predictable. For instance, power output from wind is maintained within 5% of demand, or some other such objective statement.

I say this because calculating nuclear reactivity and power output has a few variables that are relatively easy to calculate, and adjustments in output are possible. Calculating wind energy is in the domain of meteorology, which we all know is a crapshoot, and power output cannot be varied on demand.

Excerpts from the World Nuclear Power Performance Report 2018:

https://www.world-nuclear.org/getmed...eport.pdf.aspx

From Wiki on Wind Electricity Generation:

More nuclear electricity generation is being added than wind electricity each year by a wide margin.
The article I linked to, mentions multiple emergency shutdowns in a single year, and many over the lifetime, of just one nuclear power plant.

That alone, proves my point, that nuclear power is much less dependable than renewable energy. And I have read experts, who state the same thing.

Another example of unpredictable shutdowns of nuclear power plants, are numerous:

Two different plants had to shut down because their cooling water intakes (from the ocean) were clogged with jellyfish.

Nuclear plants in Nebraska had to be shut down (a couple of years ago) because of flooding.

And nuclear plants (as well as coal fired plants) have had to shut down / reduce output - BECAUSE IT WAS TOO HOT. Their cooling towers could not get the temperature down enough to keep operating.

So, global warming has already affected heat driven power plants negatively.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 05-30-2019 at 12:36 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-01-2019)