View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
Kach22i,

The plan is to keep it a four door, I need the middle doors. I can cheat forward a bit on the roof but don't want to mess with tapering the sides near the middle row doors. I have looked at many SUV to Pickup conversions, this is definitely similar. I want the vehicle to look like an Avalanche that someone put a sloped topper on. (There are no GMT-400 factory Avalanches.) Hence the stepside bed. Maybe even a few Avalanche badges...

The big difference would be I am not planning on adding a rear bulkhead at the end of the "passenger" compartment, which are typically added on the SUV to pickup conversions. I would be maintaining the open cargo area, which adds the complication that the "aeroshell" needs to be 100% water and air tight. The reason I suggested a hatchback graft was to try to maintain this usability you referenced but rely on a factory setup for the difficult to manufacture hatch hinge/seals. I would love to custom fab a 100% hinged cover, but am afraid it may not turn out as needed. But when has that stopped me...
The company I work for sells a tri-folding aluminum hard-cover that is water tight. If you sent me the dimensions you're looking to have the back frame to be I could maybe give you an idea of what models we have that would be pretty close to that, and you might just have to adjust your sizing slightly.

Full disclosure: they're a thousand bucks a crack, and I don't know how they would feel about warrantying one on your project, but our field failures are very rare and are usually due to improper install.

Anyways, here's a link to the sales page if you want to check them out:https://www.agricover.com/hard-tonneau-covers/

If you do buy one, don't buy it direct from us though, just google Lomax tonneau cover and find the cheapest seller. They prefer to just sell to our dealers and let them make individual sales, so the price on our website is always higher than you can find them elsewhere.