View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 01:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 31.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I was able to pull out some of the dents, but I reached the point where I did not have anywhere to position the feet without making dents, so I attached a handle to the elevator bolts, and after a while, I could not pull up hard enough. I visualized some rig where I built a frame over the car, legs on each side, and I pulled the elevator bolts into it, but that seemed ridiculous.

I wanted to drop the headliner and push out the dents, but I wanted to get rid of the hot glue first. I did not want to fix the dents and then pop some back later. Denatured alcohol, 91% isopropyl alcohol, and 100% acetone barely softened up the dried hot glue. It seemed like my plastic scraper did more to remove the hot glue than the solvents, but then I started noticing scratches in the clear coat.

It seemed like I would wear through the clear coat and into the paint before I remove the last of the hot glue.

There was one place where the Gorilla Glue actually pulled off the paint.

I used sandpaper to remove the rest of it.

This project gets better and better!

I dropped the headliner. Hopefully I did not crease it. I broke a number of fasteners, so we will see how much replacements cost.

Most of the dents are above the supports.

I wonder how much I can push on the supports before damaging them.

I honestly do not know what to do about those dents, but I have a bottle jack somewhere that may be willing to chat with a dent on the front.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy pushed out a bunch of dents with a pipe-shaped jack with a compressed air port. It has a foot on one end and rounded rubber on the other.

Can I use a pipe with a rubber cap?

According to Project Farm, Stanley is better than Gorilla Glue each way that he tested it: