View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #261 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
^ You know about the Metro's rust-related Achilles Heel, right? The front control arm mounts rot from the inside out owing to water getting inside the structure.

---

I re-packed the CV joint with grease (there wasn't much left in there) and covered the boot with gorilla tape and zip ties. That's what it's come to!

I wish I'd kept the spare axles when we made the ForkenSwift.

Anyway, the joint is quieter -- I could only cause it to make noise in one tight turn, though I didn't exactly punish test it. We'll see how long the "repair" lasts... someone on GMF said their gorilla-taped-up boot lasted many thousands of miles. Considering I put about 4k km / 2500 miles a year on this car, I'd be perty happy if the tape-boot lasted that long.
Yes I'm aware of the control arm mount issue, but again that is repairable with a little metal fab skill.

Ultimately the fact that a car as cheap as these has even lasted 30 years is impressive to begin with, but if they only have one major longevity flaw (2 if you count the second gear synchros), that's downright incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
People replace rusted panels with new sheet metal, right?

What if it is really dented?
Just a good excuse to straighten out the dented panels, if you have to weld and paint them anyway, might as well tac some studs on to straighten the rest out.