Thread: Electric Mower
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Interesting timing...I finally got my hands on a Ryobi 40v "Expand-it" power-head - used, for cheap, been looking for a long while now - to use with my previously gas-powered attachments.

I didn't think it would have the oomph to run my leaf blow attachment - even the gas power head has to work hard to spin it - but it ran it just as hard with out a hiccough...and no screwing around to get it started! They came out with a newer, supposedly more efficient (brushless, perhaps) version this year, which is presumably better.

Nice to hear a review on the mower. Between yours and the results with the power-head, I would actually consider getting a 40v mower. If I ever took up mowing again, rather than having a (landscaper) neighbour do it (cheap). Then again, I still have my 48V lead-acid mower (which had crappy run time with any acceptable level of power) and a 48V lithium battery on my ebike...yeah, ok, I won't be buying a Ryobi 40V one until I find a used one for cheap, but hey, I'll add it to my searches.

Oh, and you could run it off of 2 "18V" ryobi batteries, if you wanted to go through the effort...there's exactly half as many cells in series inside the 40v battery as the 18v battery. 18 + 18 ≠ 40? Well, it would, if Ryobi had called their 18V batteries "20V MAX" like everyone else. There is a string of 5 in series in the 18V battery and 10 in series in the 40V. Like the Ego "56V" line has 14, which would only be considered a nominal 48V on an ebike.

Bla bla bla...glad you're happy with your present and thanks for the review.