View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
regen only works from braking or coasting or if you let the engine idle (according to the infotainment screen\)
Which means that you have to brake and/or idle the car (which both waste gas) to charge the battery. Otherwise the battery gets too low and then force charges, which increases fuel consumption.

In a hybrid, regenerative braking basically takes the gas you used to accelerate, and very inefficiently turns that into electricity when you brake. It's a very lossy process that's typically far less efficient than the standard gasoline motor by itself. That's why hybrids don't really get much better mileage for hypermilers, although they do help offset the inefficient driving style of the average driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
I have not ran the tank down but i'm planing on a long trip 2,300 miles
so we can get some pretty 100% HIGHWAY numbers...

My goal is to use no more then 65 total gallons of fuel for the trip So i would need to average 35MPG it would cut my fuel costs down to less then $250 cheaper then a round trip plane ticket... I have a lot of my old stuff to pick up so i gotta to minimize my costs......
Highway trips are good indicators of fuel economy if you can go through a full tank. I'm sure a lot of us would like to see some at-the-pump calculations to confirm the fuel economy of the Tahoe Hybrid. Some numbers on full tanks with average driving that includes around town driving would be helpful as well. Steady state cruise isn't as good of an indicator of efficiency. For example, I can typically cruise at 120-140 MPG at 35 MPH in my Insight during the summer, but have never gotten a full tank over 100 MPG.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)