View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #131 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
no matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Well no matter how good the Tesla's drag might be, towing a travel trailer it will be equal to the F150 with the same trailer as the trailer will dictate. Also a 2.7 EcoBoost aluminum F150 is pretty light, I don't think the Tesla with that big of a battery will weigh that little (currently the lightest X is 200 pounds heavier than the heaviest 2.7). I also think the 2.7 EcoBoost with load has a better BFSC than a 528i completely unloaded. Then what if you used the new small diesel F150 as a comparison? Even better BFSC. You can get a nicely optioned 4x4 crew 2.7 EcoBoost for low $30's a good $15000 less but realistically more like 1/2 the price. If like all other things Tesla the insurance savings alone on the F150 will pay for at least 1/2 the gas an average driver will buy in the F150.

PS, I just looked up the weight of the Rivian and it's more than my 2001 4x4 2500hd Suburban! The Rivian is going to need to be classified as a 3/4 ton to have any usable payload rating.
It would be the brake specific fuel consumption-equivalency,between the ICE and electric drive that will primarily establish the Tesla's 33-mpg towing performance.Electric power-trains typically use about one-third the energy of an ICE to do the same amount of work.From prospecting,test-wells,drilling,completion,production,transport,ref ining,bulk distribution,retail dispensing,and end-use,well-plugging,casing abandonment down-hole,cost of the US military,and environmental hidden costs,an ICE vehicle has an overall thermal efficiency of around 15%.
The Tesla S is only 6% heavier than the BMW 5-Series.I don't know how the Tesla pickup would actually compare to the aluminum F-150.There's no available data yet. At highway speed,rolling resistance is meaningless compared to aero.I added a half-ton to my 1850-lb Honda CIVIC and only lost 2-mpg on the interstate.Volvo research found that weight can be beneficial with a BEV,having to do with regenerative braking and energy recovery.
AeroStealth's F-150 EcoBoost runs at 15.6% load on the interstate,naked.In Texas,one can drive anywhere from 45-mph,to 85-mph.depending upon location.I'm unsure what that would do to BSFC.I suspect that the Tesla's BSFC map is a single island,covering the entire map.
The most important aspect of the Tesla is it's ability to run on zero carbon.That's what they're in business for.If people aren't going to give them up,at least they won't have to dump even more carbon.
I don't have anything to say about the insurance industry other that it's a racket.