View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tahoe_Hybrid
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicOfKnight View Post
Hello all. I’ve been experiencing some issues with my 1995 Civic VX (California). Buckle up because I’m about to throw as much detailed info as I can about it...
I’ve had the car for about a year and had about a 75% chance of getting a code 12 CEL the moment my car warmed up to normal operating temperature. I had a dinky little Haynes and it wasn’t too much help with the EGR. I cleaned it out with no change but it didn’t seem to affect too much so I never paid much attention. Funny thing is if I turned off the car and turned it right back on the code wouldn’t pop anymore. I’ve got the stock D15Z1 engine with everything else stock (minus the down pipe and missing all the resonator boxes just before the air cleaner box)
Anyways here’s some background.. I’m moving to Arizona soon so I went through the California to federal conversion stuff (read that gem right here: can’t show links because I haven’t posted enough. Will post later.) I got my hands on an eBay bidded Canada ECU (P07-C00) for less than $50 which to my researched understanding is essentially the same as the American Federal one. I also built up the harness as exactly done in the attached forum. Lastly I got myself a brand new NGK/NTK 5 wire O2 sensor.
After finishing up I took it for a test drive and all worked well.
However, the next day I went to drive across town and as soon as my car hit that normal operating temperature I started getting some considerable bogging when I’d try to accelerate after coasting for a short time. I no longer get a CEL, but ONLY once it’s warm and after I coast at any speed in any gear for a second or two I will hit that bogging as I try to maintain that speed or slowly accelerate. If I push down harder I will break through that bogging and suddenly surge. Additionally, if I wait long enough I’ll surge just a bit as if there was no issue.
So, I did some research and got my hands on a shop service manual. I started following the trouble shooting tree but my multimeter is toast so I ordered a new one... then I stumbled on various forums with people talking about the same issue. Soooo I jumped into taking off the intake manifold to clean out the EGR ports. However I can’t find any detailed forums that go into exactly how they did the whole process. I also got lucky and found a great condition CVC valve and EGR control solenoid in a 92 VX at a junkyard so I’ll be trying those out. I’ve followed the troubleshooting steps for the code 12 in the service manual since I feel they are most likely connected.

ANYWAYS what I’m asking is 2 things. Has anyone come across a detailed forum or “how to” for drilling and plugging the intake manifold for Civic VXs? My intake manifold was severely dirty so I’m thinking that this could be the issue. But since I’m fully into it has anyone seen and fixed issues like this? I should have played around more with unplugging the EGR and the O2 sensor.. but I didn’t. Any chance it could be that ECU?
Thanks for the help!
I suggest if you can't get it fixed update to a OBD2 engine setup... before/OBD1/1.5 stinks..(practical joke with cars)

I know your in California but its from a same yr or newer model it's acceptable.. did you do the muti meter tests and is it show 5V all the time?