View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #92 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Uh huh, real f’n bargain

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ion-fee-to-248

Everybody was so happy with the unnecessary fee legislators were merely emboldened to jack up the price again to test the waters.

Unless there is real opposition to any fee until there is an actual funding issue due to a large percentage of cars being BEVS these taxes will be set as high as they can get away with to simply deflate EV demand
The way road infrastructure is funded comes from fuel taxes and registration. EVs pay zero fuel taxes, so increasing the registration cost is the only in-place method to even that out. As I said, most EV owners are still paying less towards infrastructure than other ICE drivers in IL.

The ICE registration increased too, along with fuel taxes. It seems to me the politicians were trying to solve a real problem (insufficient road funds), and it isn't obvious to me that the intention was to stifle EVs. I'm willing to be wrong about that, but I don't see how harming EV owners would somehow boost a politician's position.

I've been saying for years that infrastructure should be funded by regular tax revenues, and that registration should cost the amount it takes to make a record of the vehicle with the state and not a cent more. The reasoning is that all people benefit from road infrastructure regardless if they drive or not.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (06-11-2019)