View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #56 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Vman455,

Ahhh, air curtain ducts. Thats what I get for assuming their function, maybe junkyards will have them before too long at more reasonable prices.

Everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback, both positive and negative. I appreciate both.

Due to some of the feedback I have received, I am analyzing alternative ideas to hitting my desired drag coefficient for the Suburban. I have narrowed the contenders down to two maid ideas: the cargo area chop recently discussed and a variation on the fixed tail & folding tail idea.

The cargo area chop is to cut the vehicle and re-taper all the bodywork in the cargo area behind the middle row door.

The new tail idea is to replace the rear double doors with a new single rear door, hinged at the edge of the passenger tail light location (no binding), and will contact the existing weather-stripping to seal. This door is reinforced and is the basis for the remainder of the tail build (e.g. the tail is built onto and swings with the door). Relocate the tail, 3rd brake, and backup lights to the back face of the new door. The door will taper in on the top and sides as it goes back per AST tapers. The back of the door will hold hinged panels to have a deployable tail, with new lights on the tail for deployed lighting on the rear. This is a variation on the previous idea, except instead of an add on piece retaining the stock doors, the new single door makes some of the details (like hinging) easier.

Advantages of the cargo area chop:
No actuators, less weight, no additional length.
Advantages of the door tail:
Retains full cargo volume, not impacting vehicle structure.

I don’t think there is a huge difference in the amount of work between these two ideas, just different types of work and different headaches for both. There are obviously lots of details remaining to be worked out for either selected idea. So what are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail vs Chop.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	26152