View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
stockMKIVTDI
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson View Post
I just removed the balance shafts from our 2006 rav4 2.5L and I wish I had done it sooner. The difference is amazing. More power, better response, less throttle needed, and quieter.

It used to down shift on the hills around here and the rpm's would go way up. Now it just rolls right up the hills like they're not even there. Night and day difference.

I hope we don't get a speeding ticket, because it takes barely any throttle to maintain speed. It's going to take some getting used to for sure.

The engine is much quieter now. There was some "clattering" that we attributed to engine wear, but it's gone now. It had to be the shafts making noise. We can now whisper with the engine running, both inside and outside the car. All you hear is the injectors clicking and the exhaust.

The mileage should go up some too.
A lance shafts get removed in race cars too but be warned the extra vibration leads to extra bearing wear which will negate any gains in the long run. Better to just flush the motor by replacing the engine oil with some atf run it for 20 minutes at idle only. drain it replace filter and fill with regular oil. It cleans off any and all deposits that increase friction and decrease mileage. Especially in hydraulic lifter cars.