View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #58 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Freebeard,
The reason I believe the work to be similar is the folding tail has complicated hinges, actuators, and associated wiring that the other project doesn’t have. I am also assuming similar construction methods for both projects. Your point is not lost on me, no I have not chopped a top nor replaced a quarter section of a car body. I do want to learn though.

So the plans for the underside are a complete nose to tail belly pan out of aluminum except not under the exhaust ending at the new rear bumper. Basically flat from front differential to rear axle, sloping up from the bottom of the rear axle back. The exhaust ends behind the passenger rear wheel, that may get relocated straight back to end closer to the rear. I would not want to collect air from below for the oil cooler due to mud/damage concerns but would collect it from the sides if I pursue that project.

Despite having the materials and tools to work on that and similar projects, I am holding off because deciding on the path for the roof and sides in the back has impacts on the other work. As you can probably tell I keep wavering because it is not an easy decision for me. I am equally concerned about biting off more than I can chew as well as shortchanging the project and being dissatisfied with the outcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-12-2019)